Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Gospel: An Angel’s Perspective

Seraphs surrounded the glorious throne,
Roaring their never-ending song!
“Holy is our Mighty God,
Who was and is and is to come!”
The unimaginable splendor,
Radiant from His throne!
A blinding robe of righteousness,
Yet His face was never shown.

From the dawn of all creation,
I had shielded my face with wings.
Unworthy to share in His glory,
This One to Whom heaven sings.
Only one creature was destined for glory.
They all betrayed our wondrous King.
They ruined the image he gave them,
And now worship created things.

Then the unthinkable happened.
My King set aside His crown,
He took on flesh and helplessness,
The Mighty God came down.
But it wasn’t with sword or judgment;
It wasn’t with harsh decrees.
But a neck too weak to lift or turn,
And a mouth that could not speak.

No room? A stable? A feedbox?
Why don’t they understand?
The God from whom I hid my face
Has now become a man!
Once awe-struck by His glory,
Now overwhelmed by His grace,
Yet none revered His coming,
Only shepherds filled this place.

A bloodied babe in swaddling clothes,
Was the sign for them to tell
That the baby in the manger
Was born “Immanuel”!

I was charged to care for Jesus,
As he grew in knowledge and skill.
The little boy, who surprised the scribes,
Knew that he’d be killed.
The ugliness of this broken world,
Fallen man can’t fully know.
Yet the holy God walked these streets,
And proclaimed man’s only hope.

I was there with him in the waters,
When the Father praised His Son!
I ministered to Him in the wilderness
When Satan’s testing had been done.
I saw the religious men mock Him,
As they sought God’s favor through Law.
Yet the lowly and broken He cherished;
My Master — a servant to all.

Then one night all hell broke loose,
With torches, they came in the night.
One friend offered a traitor’s kiss,
One friend started to fight.
I could have put a stop to it all,
For I can kill thousands of men,
But Jesus had embraced His fate,
He would suffer for His people’s sin!

Long before His mission launched,
I was commanded to stand aside.
No ministry to my God, my King,
As His flesh was ripped open wide.
I saw the thorns, the scarlet robe,
The rod across his face.
I could not even conceive
What could be worth this cost of grace!

Then I witnessed a horrible sight!
The King of righteousness became sin!
The beautiful One became disgusting,
And the Father punished Him!
A torment stored up for fallen men
Was released upon my Lord!
Because He was forsaken,
The fallen man’s restored!  

He was all alone going up the hill,
Where they pierced his hands and feet.
They lifted high the wooden cross,
And He filled the Mercy Seat.
Atonement, Salvation, and Righteousness’s Cost!
The Mighty God had died.
Blood and water cleansed the race,
As the soldiers pierced his side.

The bloodied God was wrapped in linens,
Just like he emerged from the womb.
The great tragedy! The injustice!
My God was laid in a tomb!
I raced home to find my comfort.
And I rushed to the Father’s throne.
But he joyfully commanded me:
“Go and roll away the stone!”

In a moment, I raced back down
And rolled that stone away!
Victory! Victory! My Lord is risen!
My God defeats the grave!
He destroys death, conquers sin!
And releases those imprisoned!
Dear woman, do not weep!
Your Bridegroom, He is risen!

Hallelujah! What a Savior!
He’s secured their second birth!
Once from the womb of a virgin,
Then again from the womb of the earth.

Now men surround the glorious throne,
Joining the never-ending song!
“Holy is our Mighty God,
Who was and is and is to come!”
The unimaginable splendor,
Radiant from His throne!
And his perfect robe of righteousness,
By grace, is now their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment